Saturday, July 16, 2016

Cooking on Saturday and birthday presents

Wow, today h as been both lazy and productive.  Too bad that can't be the case all the time.  So before I get too far, let me post some pictures and talk about them.

First up is a picture of my progress on the NOEL.  I decided to start to backstitch the main part of the E before I started to do the filigree part.  Backstitching is sooooo borrrrrrring!  I'll be glad later that it is done.




I also received a crafty birthday present from my student helper Noah.  Thank you Noah.  He must have been paying attention to what I hang up in the office because he got me a small cross stitch kit of pink flowers.  I think it is suppose to finish 5" x 8".


Connie gave me a different type of birthday present.  She gave me a Chillo.  If you don't know what a Chillo is, don't feel bad, I didn't either.  Perhaps the easiest way to describe it would be a chill pad.  Instead of a heating pad, this is a chilling pad.


You fill it with water and then slip it in your pillowcase.  She says it helps her so I will try it.  Perhaps tomorrow since it says to let it sit for 4 hours before using (and after the water has been added).

Then, today, I received a birthday present in the mail.  A jar of APPLE BUTTER!  That's my favorite.  :)  Thank you Kayla!  It arrived from Arkansas in one piece and the seal not popped until I did it.  I had to make sure that it was ok, right?


That wasn't the only home made gift I received.  A co-worker made me some pickled cucumber salad.  Thanks Debbie!  She also gave me the recipe for it which I was happy to get since it is one that you don't have mess with all the canning stuff.  I don't have a big cooker to put the jars in or all the stuff and have never canned before.  This is one where you just put it in the frig after combining things.  I could do that although it was much nicer to get it as a present.  :)



With all of these wonderful gifts of food, it got me thinking on what I might make.  I had run across a couple of recipes so that was the best place to start.  First up was a breakfast casserole which had very few ingredients.  



I cooked it the recommended time but I needed to cook more since  the eggs weren't done yet.  It only took 10 minutes longer and then it was done.  I was surprised that it was a little dense.  I snapped a picture of it as soon as it came out of the pan and, as you can see, it's not runny.  I think that the leftovers will be eaten with something as a sauce.  Not sure what but knowing me probably salsa.



That didn't take long but what I made next did.  I had some dried black beans so I decided to make them also today.  THAT took around 8 hours.  I cooked them in ham broth with some spices, onions and garlic.  I might add some more broth to it next time and perhaps I might add some cayenne pepper to it.


That's it for today.  I'm not sure what tomorrow will bring but I'll post about it when I can.  Until then, everybody enjoy your day/evening.  Perhaps looking at a cool picture will help?  This is a lake in Australia.



No comments:

Whew! Time for a break!

I have been busy these last few days.  I even got out my sewing machine and did some 9 patch blocks so I could continue on with Fleur.  Do y...