Friday, February 5, 2016

If at first you don't succeed....

Try try again...

While my endeavor on doing 28 ct. evenweave wasn't THAT bad, I decided to change up and switch over to it's equivalent in Aida cloth which would be 14 ct.  For those who aren't cross stitchers, 28 ct. means 28 stitches or "x" per inch.  It is usually worked two threads of floss over two threads of fabric.  Aida cloth is usually worked 1 "x" over the fabric.  I don't pretend to be an authority on this but I do know where there is an online calculator which helps me figure up what size fabric I need for something.  THAT came in handy but also didn't help with me figuring out what to do on The Guardian.  That's the gold dragon cross stitch piece I'm working on.

I started it on 28 ct evenweave.  You saw some pictures of me doing that.  Having to count every other thread etc, to make a stitch.  I wanted to learn how to do it.  My poor brain DID learn how to do it but then said "Ok, I learned how to do it now go back to Aida  cloth otherwise this dragon will NEVER get done and then he'll be pissed."  I don't want a dragon pissed off at me so I went back to Aida cloth.  Hmmm.  BUT do I have fabric large enough?  I went to the website and let it calculate how much fabric I would need.  Then I started to pull out my Aida cloth.  I pressed a couple of pieces to see how many stitches they were per inch....18...I could work in that.  Then measure them.  Nope, not large enough.  Sigh.  Then I found a piece that was 14 ct.  That would work.  Then I measured it.  Not quite large enough.  Hmmm.  If I change the border that I need then it would barely fit.  Close for me!!!!!

I did want to learn something new (besides the fact that I have Aida cloth in all the sizes I don't need) so I decided to try graphing the Aida cloth.  I've seen it done with thread marking off grid patterns as well as using water soluble pens.  As a wanna be better quilter, I had the pens so I used them.


Doesn't that look good?  Each block is 10 by 10 stitches...or IS it?  I excitedly picked up my pattern, threaded my needle and went to make the first stitch.  WAIT!  It doesn't match up! But..but...but it has to!  I thought I had figured out my mistake.  I had started from the left side of the fabric and counted out every 10 stitched and marked it for my lines.  That didn't work, which I quickly figured out, since my pattern which shows the 10 x 10 grid didn't match the 10 x 10 grid that I had just done.  Sigh.

So I then got out my trusty water battle and spritzed the whole canvas and went to bed while it dried.  I had used the water soluble ink so spraying it with water made the lines disappear.  Pretty neat right?!  I love those pens.  So this morning I approached it by another method.  I found the center of my fabric again and found where it was on the pattern grid.  This time I counted my lines to coincide (I hope) with the lines on the pattern.  I think I have it right and started to take some stitches.  WAIT!  It didn't match up.  But ... but...what now!

The answer was kind of simple but annoying.  I was making my fabric every 10 stitches or so I thought.  After I looked at it carefully I was actually marking it every 9 inches.  So back to the drawing board.  The water dried quickly (thanks to a fan I had blowing on it), and back to marking it.  This time I figured it out.  Even though I was counting 10 lines or threads, I was marking the wrong corner.  See the example below.  So now that I had my fabric marked for 10 stitches (my ah ha! moment), I was ready to begin.



Once bitten twice shy but I was brave and took a couple of stitches.  I have five stitches done and then thought I'd try something ELSE new.  I am thinking on this complicated pattern, I'm going to stitch one 10 x 10 segment at a time.  It will be a lot of work since I have lots of color blends and changes but then I will know that block is done.  We'll see.  

A not as complicated cross stitch pattern that I'm working on is my Fairy Alphabet B.  Here is an updated photo of my progress.


I have mistakes on this one also but I know how to cover them up better.  LOL.  

I haven't given up on quilting.  In fact I counted how many 2016 BOMs that I'm interested in collecting and I believe the number was around 13.  That's why I said collecting.  I'm not sure how many of them I'll get to work on.  The first one I started was a bust (Westering Women).  I will try again but am almost questioning the block cutting directions.  That's for another day.

I did manage to catch the sale at thousandsofbolts.com   I order three 108" wide fabrics.


The middle one is a white on white which I can use for my applique blocks.  The gold on cream was too pretty to pass up as was the blue on the right.  I'm sure I'll find a use for them.

I also was brave and sewed up a simple (super simple) little bag that had a zipper.  Now realize that I am terribly afraid of sewing zippers.  I haven't even attempted one since the fiasco in Home Economics sewing class around 1972!  But I found a YouTube video that sort of made sense and right afterwards I stumbled upon a zipper that I didn't know I had.  So I thought it was a sign.  I finished it, it's large because it was the only zipper that I had to work with but not too bad.  It's large enough to hold my Fairy Alphabet B supplies.



The zipper still isn't right in it but for my first attempt after such a long time, I am still sort of pleased with it.  

That's my catch up report for now.  I thought that I would finish with a cute picture.  Enjoy and have a great day/night.


1 comment:

Kat Scribner said...

the elephant photo is precious. You were certainly in an experimental mood with your stitching, Bonni. You talked about a spec # of threads with 28 ct (ouch) and 14 ct. I have a 14 ct sheet of aida, I am working with, cut away sections as I make a pic. I was using 2 strands of floss. Is that correct or should I be using 3 strands?? This is my first experience with cross stitch.

Whew! Time for a break!

I have been busy these last few days.  I even got out my sewing machine and did some 9 patch blocks so I could continue on with Fleur.  Do y...