Sunday, June 23, 2019

Tarka Dal

Hello everybody.  I still have my sciatic problems but I do know it is getting better.  That's also the bad part.  I start to feel better and then I over do it and have a set back.   So I guess that I feel better every other day? 

Today I was able to sit up long enough to listen in on the  Ourtimetoquilt Live YYoutube stream.  If any of you are interested, come and listen.  While I was doing that, I was making Tarka Dal.  Oh my.  That turned out to be a yummy dish.  It was suggested that it be served over rice or used to dip pieces of Naan in. 


I had leftover mashed potatoes so I just put it over that.  LOL.  If it was that yummy over potatoes, I can imagine how it would be over rice.  I think I'd like to also have it as a dip for Naan or even a Pita, etc.  So what is it?

It is red lentils with spices.  The spices are cumin, salt, turmeric, coriander powder, garam masala, and chili powder.  I actually forgot to put in the chili powder but that's ok.  It's not spicy hot or anything.  You only use 1 tsp of each of the seasonings.  So that list of spices gets cooked in with the red lentils and when that mixture is the consistency you like, you add the Dal.  Dal is a stick of butter with one bulb of crushed garlic.  Yummmy!  You just need to cook the crushed garlic (I used chopped) in the butter until it turns a golden color.  Mix the Dal with the Tarka and that's it.  It's a warm dish, smells great, and one that I will be make again.  It seemed like the thing to make on a lazy Sunday.

Speaking of a lazy Sunday.  Last week I was driving and stopped for the animal life who was crossing the road.  I guess they were taking a leisurely Sunday stroll.


This was the second group.  The first group crossed and just when we thought we could move, this group crossed.  By the time they crossed, and I got up to the stop light, it had turned red.   LOL.

My back and legs are telling me to go lay down so I'll chat more.    Oh wait.  I forgot...I DID manage to finish my test pattern piece for The Quilt Pattern Magazine.  Whew!  I didn't want to not keep my promise to test it.  It turned out nice and I like the colors I used.  You'll have to wait until around October before you can see it (grins).  NOW I can go lay down.

Everybody have a great day!

No comments:

Total eclipse

 Shalom stopped by and showed me a couple of the pix that he took of the eclipse.  I thought I'd share with you. The first two pictures ...