Saturday, August 10, 2019

A Passport!

Will that be a Passport to adventure?  Will it just be another form of ID or will I use it to go someplace?  I don't know the answer to that myself.  I would hazard that it will be just another form of ID but in today's society when we have to have passports to go to neighboring countries like Canada, at least I will have it if my friends say, "Let's go to Canada for the weekend."  I've been to Canada before  and it would be nice to go back.  I'll just have to wait to convince a friend to drive me.  :)  But why am I talking about a passport today?  It's because in roughly a half an hour, I will be going to the post office to file for a passport.  I've always wanted one.  Not sure why but it has taken me this long to get the money for it and actually doing it.  It will be another thing I can mark off my bucket list.

It has taken me a bit to gather up all the information.  I'm the last of my family so I can't ask others the questions but, luckily, I have been able to gather information through some ancestry sites.  But shouldn't I know the answers already?  Yes, I should.  Did I know?  Not all.  For instance, My father died when I was in 5th grade.  I remember his birthday was in September but the year?  No way.  Where was he born?  Ummm in Illinois but didn't know where.  Who to ask?  Mother?  Brothers? Sister?  Grand mothers?  Grand fathers?  All dead.  It proved to be a little challenge but finally I found out the information.  Now I have certified copies of  death certificate, birth certificate, marriage certificates, etc.  I knew that Dad was born in the US but I think he might have been one of the first of his side of the family to have been born here.  Grandpa and Grandma Bromeland (my maiden name) came over from Norway.  The whole family donated money and food so that one family could come over and make a living in the United States.  Then when they could, they would send money back to Norway to help finance another family  to come over.

My point in writing this is...don't assume everybody will know or have access to papers that you might need later.  Don't wait til the last moment in order to gather this vital information.  Even if you don't keep track and do the Ancestry thing, some day you might need to know this information.  Also keep in mind that you have to contact the Vital Records offices in the county where the event happened.  For me this meant to get a copy of my marriage certificate, I had to get it online from Wisconsin, my divorce papers, however I dealt with Illinois records.  One county records showed that my father was born in a different town than what it was listed on my birth certificate.  Isn't it fun to try to put together these pieces?

While waiting for time to pass I remembered that I hadn't had breakfast yet.  I wanted something to eat but didn't want to upset my stomach which suddenly had a case of nerves.  So I had a small sweet potato that I had baked the night before.  This is what I like about being single.  If I want a non-traditional breakfast I can have one.  Some days it might be leftover pizza or pasta, some days eggs, some days potatoes.  I never know what I will eat ahead of time.  Since I've lost 90 pounds this year (another check mark on my bucket list) I guess I'll stick to it.

Oh..time to get going or I'll be late.

Later everybody!

2 comments:

Kathy G said...

I got my first passport in the mid-90s but didn't use it until it was almost ready to expire. But on a bad day it was a great feeling to know that I could grab it and run away from home if I wanted to :-)

esther said...

I had to get one to visit my son in Germany in 1994. Used it to visit him in Japan also in Hong Kong. He is a professor who teaches English , and was teaching. My pass port ran out and I never renewed it as I don't plan on leaving this country anymore. Getting to old to travel. Enjoy life.

Saturday Musings

 Hello everybody.  I hope your Saturday is going  well.  I have been busy working on various projects and can now show some pictures.  Befor...