Thursday, February 16, 2023

This weeks update

    Did you catch my title for this post?  Yes that is right, I said this weeks post.  I am going to try and post each week.  Not only that but I am going to try and do it on Thursdays or Fridays.  Does that sound too organized for me?  Maybe.  With me working on the Blackwork Stitch A Long it will give me something to post with.  Each week I will have a new filler to show everybody.  This will also help me get back into the habit of posting on a regular basis.

   This week I have an update on my Rose of Sharon UFO block.  I am feeling pretty good about keeping up with my decision to work on some UFOs.  It's only February though and I wonder if I can keep it up all year.  If I do, I will have 12 blocks finished. That is far more than I've gotten done so far.  I also hope to get a completed UFO done.  Wish me luck on these goals.

   Enough talk for now.  It's time to show you what I have done this week.  It's not a lot to show off because when you do applique it takes a bit to do by hand.

   First here is a picture of my blackwork.  


   I am loving how this is turning out.  Like with my quilting, I am starting to learn to look at a small section of the pattern at a time and not the large picture once you start to work on it.  It can be so overwhelming if I look at a piece of blackwork but then if I narrow my focus to only look at a part of it, it is doable.  It is the same theory of the old joke about "How do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time." 

   Now for the Rose of Sharon.  One of these times I will have to actually gather some of my tops and start to save up to have them quilted.  I will do my own binding but I do need somebody to do the sandwich and quilting for me.  


   I am making good progress on this block.  It should be finished by the end of February.  I only have 4 more leaves to stitch down.  This is  a picture before I did the brown circle.  By the end of today I will only have green Celtic looking center design to do.  I work on it late at night or early in the morning when I can't sleep.  

   Here's a surprise for you.  I found another pattern I'd like to make.  I actually might get to work on it.  It is called Apple Cider and is from the Quiltmaker September/October '14 magazine.   The finished size is approximately 53 1/2"x 53 1/2" with finished blocks being 14" It is a standard 3 x 3 layout.



   I know that my friend Susan will laugh when she sees that picture.  It has a ton of leaves on it which is a standing joke with us.  It appears that most of the applique patterns I like have a lot of leaves in them.  By the way, if you get a chance, check out Susan's blog page.  Here is a link to it.

   Susan's blog

   She is relatively new to blogging and I find it interesting to read what she writes.  

   That's all that I have to report on this week.  Now it is time for me to figure out what recipes I want to make.  I have some feta cheese crumbles that I'm wondering what to do with.  I don't have any lettuce to make a regular salad so I might have to get creative.  I might also make some soup tomorrow but that is only if I remember to soak the beans tonight.  LOL.  We'll see.  I'll report next week on if I make it or not.  Oh, one thing that I will be making today is Chicken strips.  I was given Chicken strips and I think I will bread them and then either bake or fry them.  Not sure yet.  I am leaning toward baking them since it is a damp day today.  Rain on and off all day and this morning had a thunderstorm complete with lightning.

   I hope everybody stays well and can find some time to relax and create.  See you all next week!


No comments:

Saturday Musings

 Hello everybody.  I hope your Saturday is going  well.  I have been busy working on various projects and can now show some pictures.  Befor...