Friday, November 27, 2020

The Day After!

 Whew!  Welcome to the day AFTER Thanksgiving.  Are any of you taking advantage of Black Friday sales?  I probably won't but I will still look online and see if I need anything.

I had a great Thanksgiving.  I talked to my sister in law.  She does cross stitch and dried flower arrangements etc. so it is nice to hear from her.  It was also my friend Dan's birthday so he came over.  He almost missed it since he hadn't been feeling the best before (shh.  too much cheese in his diet -- been there before) but by six he was feeling well enough to come over.  That's only 4-5 hours later than planned.  I think we need to invent time stop or something even if nothing else for cooking.  You know, after the turkey goes in to be done between 1-2 p.m. and you find out your company isn't going to be there until 6 p.m.?  The turkey refused to stop cooking!  It still turned out great and since it was a small turkey, I gave Dan the rest to go back home with him.  I actually gave him around 90% of the leftovers to take back home with him.  LOL.

As you can see we didn't go hungry.  Dan took these pictures.  This was his first plate of food.  He stopped at two plates.


Having limited room to set things up, I decided to recruit my ironing board to put some of my crockpots on as well as the gravy, dressing, cranberry sauce.  The pies and biscuits were on the card tables.  Dan discovered if he leaned slightly to the right, he didn't have to get up to get the biscuits.  :)




The menu was:

Turkey (10 pound)

dressing

gravy

fresh cranberry sauce 

green bean casserole

party potatoes (new recipe for me this year --- will definitely make it again)

biscuits (hot out of the oven)

apple pie

pumpkin pie

Blackberry Honey Wine - Thank you Dan for sharing your birthday gift with me...Double thanks for leaving it for me to finish off.  :)


I even shared some of the turkey with the outdoor cats Tangerine and Orange.  They used to belong in the house but the former residents kicked them out.  The neighborhood feeds them as does the mail lady.  I don't normally feed them, but did find an animal house in the back yard that was brought up front to put in the trees in case they want to shelter in it.   I noticed that somebody put two small animal beds in there now.  I wonder if they will ever use it.  I have seen them checking it out by sticking their heads in but that is it so far.  Animals adapt to their surroundings so if the weather gets bad enough I'm sure they will go in it.

Today is back to a more normal day for me.  I've done most of my dishes from yesterday.  My roaster is still soaking but everything else is done.  I have the laundry out of the washer and in the dryer.  That is the laundry from yesterday.  The towels, dish clothes, etc.  In a little bit I will put regular laundry in the washer.  No need to start it now since it would have to wait for the dryer anyway.  

This week is start to address Christmas cards.  I'm debating if I will type up a "what's changed" letter in them or not.  I don't normally do that but 2020 has brought a lot of changes so it might be nice to recap it. 

Time to get back to chores.  Have to finish them before I can get back to stitching on Christmas in Jacksonville.  I'm on the last of the embroidery blocks for that.  I do not think I will do the log cabin/courthouse steps blocks that the pattern calls for.  I might, however, look up some more Christmas themed patterns that I could embroidery in blocks to add in instead.  It was the embroidered blocks that caught my attention and what I liked best about this pattern.

Everybody have a great day and stay safe.

Hugs to all.

1 comment:

A Walk With Susan said...

It looks like Dan did not leave hungry. Great job!

Saturday Musings

 Hello everybody.  I hope your Saturday is going  well.  I have been busy working on various projects and can now show some pictures.  Befor...