Monday, May 31, 2021

Memorial Day 2021

 There are so many things that I want to remember and acknowledge but my fingers and brain get al tied up and nothing sounds right.

Today is Memorial Day.  When I Googled Memorial Day, it came u with 

"Memorial Day is an American holiday, observed on the last Monday of May, honoring the men and women who died while serving in the U.S. military. ... Originally known as Decoration Day, it originated in the years following the Civil War and became an official federal holiday in 1971."

That might be the technical definition or explanation but I grew up with a more extended version.  When I was growing up things like parades were still possible and looked forward to.  Memorial Day and Veteran's Day were two of the biggest parade days.  The local organizations would put on a parade complete with marching bands, marching Vets in their uniforms and people standing on the sidewalks screaming their thanks and applauding.  The Vets and band would lead us to the local cemetery where a service would be held and then it was time to mingle at the local park and listen to the stories.  It was both a good time as well as a sad time.  Still it was good that the soldiers were not forgotten.

In today's society, it is easy sometimes to forget that.  To forget the simple things  like saying thank you.  It is a small thing but means so much to most everybody.  So, let me say Thank You to all who served whether it was in a combat situation or just a desk clerk.  Thank you also to the families that stayed at home and help support our soldiers.  It wasn't easy for either group.

Picnics are aso associated with Memorial Day.  That was the theme (semi) for my Memorial Day meal.  I asked my friend Dan to come over and we sort of had an indoor picnic.  That meant sandwiches and salads.  My meal also had to be made from what I had on hand since I wouldn't be able to go to the grocery store until AFTER Memorial Day.  So my meals consisted of:

Sandwiches - Sloppy Joes and BBQ (Pork)

Dips - Garlic Ranch Dip, Salsa and Sour Cream Dip

Ritz Crackers and another type of cracker for the dips

Macaroni Salad - a new recipe (Thanks Connie).  I will use less sugar next time

Deviled Eggs

Apple Pie with Whipped Topping for dessert.





It is time for me to sign off for now.  I have a pipe that sprung a leak and my landlord is here to see where the leak is at and where we need to shut off the water at.  I can't see where it is leaking but it sounds like a mini Niagara Falls.  I'll let you know what happened in my next post.  Everybody have a great day.



2 comments:

A Walk With Susan said...

I have the same memories from Memorial Days of the past. We would always line up on Main Street to wave and thank the soldiers. I am glad you mentioned the soldiers families as well, most times they are the forgotten.

Your meal sounds delicious. I hope you get your water leak resolved quickly.

Marsha Clark said...

<3

Saturday Musings

 Hello everybody.  I hope your Saturday is going  well.  I have been busy working on various projects and can now show some pictures.  Befor...