Tuesday, January 15, 2019

The Land of UFOs



I was reading Bonjour Quilts blog today and I liked what she said about UFOs.  Some of the things that are pointed out are:

There isn’t any rule that says YOU have to finish them.

The final outcome doesn’t always have to be what the UFO was first intended.  Did that baby grow out of the baby quilt size?  Can you add more rows to it.  Did your quilting Mojo go in hiding and you can’t stand to work on another full size quilt or larger?  Can you cut it back and make a baby quilt or wall hanging out of it? 

Basically, take stock of our UFOs and look at them.  REALLY look at them.  Do you really want to finish that project?  “What’s the minimum effort required to get it to a useful state?”  What great advice!  What’s the minimum effort required to get it to a useful state.  I think it should be printed out, embroidered or whatever and put where you can see it.  First of all, who doesn’t like minimum effort.  We are all busy and don’t always have time to do things.  So rethink how you do things.  What HAS to be done to finish the project.  Does it need 3 borders?  Maybe 1 would work?    Do you need another quilt for the bed?  Perhaps you can cut it down to make it a wall hanging to go OVER the bed.  Perhaps you can redo it so that the one large quilt can be made into a couple of smaller quilts so next time you get the “oh look who is having a baby”, you might already have the quilt done.

Check out her post and see for yourself.  


Perhaps 2019 can be the year we try to cut back on our own stress as well as get UFOs finished.  That’s my goal.  To cut back some stress.  I don’t have a lot of it but I know that as I get closer and closer to retiring, my stress levels will go up.  I will try to keep it to a manageable stage which means I will have to do cross stitch and quilting.  

I am doing pretty good so far.  I am collecting some of the blocks from various BOMs but not working on them.  That takes some of the stress out right there. 

I will work on them when I will have time but I can’t work on them unless I collect them.  Did that make sense?  For instance.  In order to get some UFOs finished, I am not going to work on all the 2019 BOMs or BOWs that catch my eye.  I might download them but won’t let myself work on as many until I finish a UFO.  That means I have to start out making a list of my UFOs (shiver) as well as a list of what NEW projects I would like to see done in 2019.

It’s a start.  I’ll work on that this weekend.  I already have a partial list but, to be honest, my UFO list was getting too long so I stopped writing them down.  Yes I know it is called avoidance but you know what?  It works.  LOL. 

Everybody have a great day and I’ll post up a picture of what Block 2 for Delft Blue in the next day.  That’s a weekly BOW so I will feel lucky if I get them cut out and fused in a week.  I know I can’t stitch that fast.

Until next time,

Happy Stitching


Saturday Musings

 Hello everybody.  I hope your Saturday is going  well.  I have been busy working on various projects and can now show some pictures.  Befor...