Monday, October 9, 2023

Words to think on...

 As I was running across some crafting websites, one of them said something that struck a cord with me.

The line was:  "Choosing embroidery is choosing a certain way of life."  This was said at the end of a video on Chinese embroidery.  Here is the link in case you wish to watch it.

https://youtu.be/fSv0bXxoty0?si=iXioFcP0r4LWBpNg

"This week I went to Zhenhu, a small town 26km away from Suzhou. This is the origin place for Suzhou embroidery. For over 2000 years, from replacing the function of tattoo for our ancestor to decorating the Chinese home and clothes, this handcraft has been passed down by countless generations."  It is great to think that there was a part of the area for those that were doing craft work.  I can't believe how many hours those women put into doing stitchery and then went home to still do their housework and family obligations.  They were certainly doing it as a labor of love (and that they sell them to get money doesn't hurt either).

While this was a video about someone's journey about embroidery, that quote stuck with me because it is true, in my opinion, for most of our crafts.  Quilting has been with us for a long time and will be, I know, but how many other crafts are out there where the craft is being held up by a few people.  As stated in the video, many young people might still be involved in crafts but not the actual making of things.  It seems a lot of people are more interested in the behind the scenes part of the craft.  The picture taking, the budgetary part, the mailing part, or perhaps the video taking parts.  Don't get me wrong, those are very important parts too.  I do not want anybody to think that I am putting down those aspects of the craft.  Without that the word of the crafts wouldn't be spread around the world as easily.

Just something that was on my mind.  As we move forward, let us not forget about those who came before us and what they did without the modern conveniences that most of us have.


No comments:

Saturday Musings

 Hello everybody.  I hope your Saturday is going  well.  I have been busy working on various projects and can now show some pictures.  Befor...