Saturday, August 5, 2023

End of week update on what's cooking...

 I went to the food pantry and Walmart yesterday and now have a full fridge.  Of course that means I have some prep to do otherwise I won't find anything.  That means that today is a prep day and some cooking for the freezer day.  

First of all, let me talk about what I made this week.  I had too many leftovers in the fridge that I postponed making some of the dishes.  I had planned to make:


Ramen noodles
Rotel Chicken - if I remember to pick up Rotel tomatoes
Sloppy Joe Quesadillas - might be next week though
Taco Bell Meat.

I did made the Ramen noodles but they weren't that  much different then what I normally make.  It was a good reminder to use the sesame oil a bit more when I make ramen.

I remembered to get the ingredients for the Rotel Chicken,  Here are the ingredients for the three recipes.  The Sloppy Joe and the Taco Meat recipes are pretty much self explanatory.  cook up the meat, add spices, etc.  As a side note:  I just use whatever shredded cheese I have on hand no matter what the recipe calls for.  So here are the ingredients needed.

Rotel Chicken:

   4 small chicken breast
   1 teaspoon cumin
   1/2 teaspoon EACH:  chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper
   10 oz Rotel, drained
   1/4 cup heavy cream (I'll use evaporated milk which is a 1 to 1 swap)
   1/3 cup chicken broth
   2 oz. cream cheese
   1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (divided)

      - Combine the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a bowl and set aside
      - Heat a 12 inch skillet over medium heat, spray with nonstick spray or add up to 1 tablespoon olive oil.
      - Sear the chicken in the skillet 2-3 minutes on each side until nicely browned, remove from skillet and set aside
      - add the drained can of Rotel, heavy cream, broth, cream cheese and reduce heat to low
      - Stir mixture until cream cheese melts completely and add 12 cup of shredded cheese to the sauce, stir well
      - Add the chicken to the skillet and cover with the remaining cheese
      - Place a lid on the skillet and let simmer over low for 6-8 minutes


Sloppy Joe Quesadillas:

   1 pound ground beef
   1/4  onion diced
   2 teaspoons minced garlic
   1/2 cup ketchup
   2 tablespoons brown sugar
   2 tablespoons yellow mustard
   4 burrito size flour tortillas (10 inch size)
   1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
   1 cup Monterey jack Cheese; and 

Taco Bell Meat:

   1 pound ground beef
   1 tablespoon all purpose flour
   1/2 teaspoon onion powder
   1 teaspoon chili powder
   1 teaspoon paprika
   1/2 teaspoon cumin
   1 teaspoon beef bouillon paste
   2 tablespoons tomato paste
   1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
   1/2 cup water

 I cooked up the Sloppy Joe mixture and then decided that I would freeze all but one serving of it.  I will finish putting it all together when when I serve it.  That would be the tortilla shell and shredded cheese.  I tasted it and it has a little bite to it which is good.  That would be the yellow mustard in it. 

Next up for cooking today is the Taco Bell Meat.  When I was doing some of my meal prep last night, I took some onions and chopped them up as well as dividing the hamburger and ground turkey meat.  I decided that I would package the meat into a 50-50 mixture.  50% ground meat and 50% ground turkey.  The ground beef will give the ground turkey a little bit more flavor and extend it at the same time.  That's in the freezer now so for both the Sloppy Joe recipe the Taco Bell mixture I will use the mixed ground meat.    

I will wait a few days before I make the Rotel Chicken recipe.  I have all the ingredients now but I need to eat up some leftovers from last week as well as use up some fresh produce that I received from the pantry haul.  Dan bought me a 3 pound bag of chicken breasts so I will be using the chicken from that when I make the Rotel chicken recipe.  It was interesting to look at the chicken breasts in the bag.  One was HUGE (think more like Purdue chicken size chicken breast) and some were small enough that it almost looked like the size of small chicken thighs.  That will work out well for the Rotel Chicken though.  It calls for small chicken breasts.  I'm not sure if I will use as much as what it calls for or use part of that and then part of my bags of chicken again.  It will extend the chicken and better hide the texture of the bagged chicken.

No comments:

Saturday Musings

 Hello everybody.  I hope your Saturday is going  well.  I have been busy working on various projects and can now show some pictures.  Befor...