Sunday, August 14, 2016

Crafting Messes

I didn't report on Friday because I forgot to bring the right color of floss to work on the butterfly block and then I forgot to bring the butterfly block home to work on.  Perhaps this week I can manage to get the butterfly block and the brown floss together.  I was still motivated to do SOMETHING so I pulled out the t-shirts and started to look at them.

I soon discovered that the 12" blocks that I had planned on wouldn't work.  The shirt logos and sayings are too large for a 12" block.  The price that I had quoted the client (it's funny to think that *I* have a client) was for 12" blocks.  Now I have to be 13 1/2" finished blocks.  Will it make that much of a difference in pricing?  Should I do another quote?  Will that 1 1/2" make THAT much of a difference?

Besides that question, I thought I had finished cutting the t-shirts but then discovered a small stack.  That means I will have to cut more.  At least I found out before I started to iron on the interfacing.  I hate to get interrupted from that.  I like to get one thing finished and then start the next phase.  :)

So here is the majority of the t-shirts trimmed down.



Don't they look nice and neat on the table?  Well that is the only nice and neat part of it.  Here's the other side of the story.




Before going to bed last night I picked up the "cut offs" and put them away.  I don't get rid of them until I'm done with the whole quilt since I might have to go back to match up something or add to it.  That's when I found the rest of the t-shirts so it's back to the drawing board.  I will finish that today and then decide if I'll do the interfacing today or another day.

That's about all I did yesterday crafting wise.  I did mix up some home made Bisquick mix and put in the freezer.  It was easy to do and turned out pretty close to the Bisquick.  I hadn't made it before but I made some biscuits with it and they turned out ok.    Here's the recipe:

Homemade Bisquick Mix
by Rachel Paxton (just made it and the biscuit cooked up like when I used Bisquick)
5 cups flour
1/4 cup baking powder
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
Mix dry ingredients together and then use a pastry blender or a fork to mix in the butter until the mixture is crumbly. Use immediately or place in a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 6 months.
It needs to be kept in the freezer because of the butter I have been told.

I hope everybody has a great day and I'll keep you updated on my progress.


1 comment:

Sue Cottle said...

Yay! You haz a client!!!!
You should probably warn them that there may be a price change, due to having to use larger squares to make it fit, so more fabric. If it's not going to cost YOU any more to make up the quilt, other than the hassle of cutting out bigger blocks, and all those extra t-shirts, the price could stay the same ...
but if it's going to take more fabric, more time, cost YOU more, and if you haven't included those 'extra' t-shirts in your costing, you DO need to charge more - otherwise it's going to turn into a sucky-monster-quilt.

<3 Sue <3

Whew! Time for a break!

I have been busy these last few days.  I even got out my sewing machine and did some 9 patch blocks so I could continue on with Fleur.  Do y...