Monday, March 12, 2018

Weekend Progress

I actually managed to get quite a bit done this weekend.  Since I didn't work today, my Monday was part of the weekend.  I finished my test pattern (YAY), finished the February BUG OFF!  block, fused the March BUG OFF! block and am half way done stitching that down, finished the teapot I showed you the other day, AND tried out my 2 1/2" pre-gridded interfacing.  So here are the results (minus the test pattern pix).


Charlie the Claustrophobic caterpillar in disguise as an inch worm 

The colors and layout for the March Bug Off! Butterfly
And now...to do some show and tell with the 2 1/2" pre-gridded fusible interfacing.

The proposed pattern (blue stripes are iron board cover)


I found some precuts of 2 1/2" squares so decided to use them.  THEN I found some left over 2 1/2" HST so I decided to test how they would work .  So I cut out a 4 x 4 grid pattern in the fusible interfacing.


Then I laid out the pattern on the fusible interfacing (bumpy side on back side of squares).

This required me to be careful and make sure that I "pressed" and not "ironed" the squares and fusible interfacing so that they would not get "out of order".  I still had a couple of them shift on me  but not enough to redo it.

The next step is to sew all vertical columns.  I folded it over and just lined up on the pre-gridded lines.  Notice that the other squares stay in place because of the fusible interfacing.


Repeat with the rest of the rows.

 When done you can see that it makes little waves.


Before stitching horizontally, you need to take a sharp pair of scissors and clip up to your sewn line.  That way when you fold back the horizontal rows, they completely fold back.


This little project is all sewn down.  Now to flip it, iron it, and see if all those points lined up as advertised.


 It worked!  Here is the picture after it was quilted.


I messed up on the binding but it will be ok for this little project.  It will be far enough away that people won't get up close to it (unless they want to climb over my desk and printer and scanner).  LOL.


How's that for making progress? 

That's my progress for this weekend.  Let me leave you with another one of the beautiful sugar creations. 


I hope everybody has a great weekend!


4 comments:

esther said...

Great job. Love the tea pot :)

Marsha Clark said...

Pretties !

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Sure a pretty teapot.

Deb Johnson, Quiltbeeme said...

Those Bugs are so darned cute!! You got a lot done! The teapot is sweet with that floral print! So, is using the gridded fusible worth the extra work of cutting the sewing lines? It is nice to have perfect points but I was wondering. Great job hon! Hugs, Deb Our Time To Quilt https://youtu.be/q89s2BRv8Qs

Total eclipse

 Shalom stopped by and showed me a couple of the pix that he took of the eclipse.  I thought I'd share with you. The first two pictures ...