Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Ice Storm Warning

 Awww.  Arkansas wanted me to feel like I was back home in the midwest today by having an Ice Storm Warning.  Wasn't that so nice of it?  Oh wait.  I'm retired.  I don't have to go outside if I don't want to and at 27F (feels like tempt of 19F) and I don't want to.  

That means, of course, that I'm NOT going to talk about the weather any more and talk instead about cooking and crafting.  First up is cooking.  I managed to make a loaf of beer bread and I like how it turned out.  The recipe only make one loaf and is a batter bread type.  It has...wait for it...only 3 ingredients.  That's my kind of recipe.



The recipe calls for:

3 cups pancake mix (yes you read that right)

2 tablespoons melted butter

1 can beer (12 oz or 1 1/2 cups)

You just mix everything together but need to add the beer slowly and more like fold it in because of the foam that results from pouring beer.  Then bake for about 30-40 minutes in a 350F oven.

That's it.

In the next day or two I might try a biscuit recipe that has mandarin oranges and coconut in it.  Doesn't that sound yummy too?  I'll keep you informed on how it turns out.  I also made a couscous recipe that I saw on Jacques Pepin Facebook page.  It was delish!  It had spinach, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, chicken broth, and of course Couscous.



With nice warm bread in my tummy, my thoughts turned to crafts.  First up was putting together the top, which I call Welcome Bunny.  It is actually called  Bunny and Blooms but I never remember that.  



The next step in it will be to pick out my embroidery floss and match up some colors.  It will get put to the side though on the 16th so I can do my two weeks of cross stitch.  Before I switch crafts on the 16th I wanted to get a couple more blocks done from some of the BOMs that I am doing.  I *did* manage to get my first block done for the Civil War - Hands All Around BOM.  This is the one that was inspired by Louisa Alcott and offered by Barbara Brackman.  



The colors look a little off in the picture but the corners are an off white while the flying geese-ish rectangles are white.  The 9 patch uses the same off white that the corner blocks have.  I had all of those cut out when I realized I didn't have enough to do everything in the same color.  I'm trying to use up scraps when I can.  I finished it up just in time because today block two was posted.  Block two will be a Missouri Star block.  Did I mention that I am proud of the 9 patch block?  I'm proud because I didn't use any of the short cut methods for it.  The flying geese are all done with triangles!!! and they fit in pretty good I thought.

On a side note, I have ordered Barbara Brackman's Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns, 3rd edition.  Amazon should have it in March.  It was expensive but not as expensive as trying to get an older copy of it and I watched a review on it.  I'm trying to get more into piecing and this seemed like a good investment.  I think that I might have shocked my friend Susan with that statement but after doing the first block I figured I might continue with learning how to piece.  hehehe

the Civil War block wasn't the only blocks I worked on.  I also managed to get some more Farmer's Wife blocks done.  

This is Contrary Wife


This is Streak of Lightning

and this is Homebound


The only other thing I have to show today is my newest template....the half Heart from Missouri Star Company.  It will be used when I do their pattern called Hearts and Gizzards.  There is a video tutorial on their website showing how to do it.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guqmuwOAO4E&feature=emb_logo&ab_channel=MissouriStarQuiltCompany

I hope that you enjoyed todays blog.  Stay safe and warm and enjoy your day.


2 comments:

A Walk With Susan said...

As I was reading this wonderful blog post I thought to myself and said to Bonni "Wait a minute, you don't like doing piecing!" Then I kept reading and truly LOL loudly, it brought tears to my eyes.

Hmmm Bonni next time warn someone to put on their seatbelt prior to reading! LOL I'm still laughing but hanging on tightly.

esther said...

Your work is great. Thanks for posting.

Saturday Musings

 Hello everybody.  I hope your Saturday is going  well.  I have been busy working on various projects and can now show some pictures.  Befor...