Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Wow...so many recipes

      I have been so busy.  My friend Ann has been sending me recipes and has been keeping me so busy I haven't tried any of them out yet.  I'm not complaining though because a lot of them sound really good!

     Here are some that caught my attention:








     I have been gaining weight for the last three weeks but eventually I'll get back on track.  Every time I see a great recipe I want to make it.  LOL.  Not good if you are trying to lose weight.  I now need to lose around 35 pounds.  I'll do it eventually but I'm not in that much of a hurry except for the fact that my SCA clothes aren't fitting me well.  That's for my next post though.  This post is for cooking.

     I did make some new recipes and my taste tester, Dan, liked them both.  One was for a wonton dipping sauce.  He used up the first batch on wontons.  So he is now on a new batch.  Being for wontons, it has a lot of soy sauce in it so I decided to make another sauce I thought he'd like.  I made a honey dill dipping sauce.  He told me he had bought some egg rolls when he went to the store.  He came away with more wontons, pot stickers, AND egg rolls.  He tried the honey dill sauce and loved it.  Here are the recipes I found:

Wonton Dipping Sauce

1/4 cup soy sauce

2 tbsp rice vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar instead since it was the number 1 substitute listed for rice vinegar.  White vinegar was the number 2 substitute)

1 teaspoon chili garlic paste or hot mustard.  (I just used regular minced garlic)

1 teaspoon sesame oil

1-2 teaspoons honey

1 scallion, sliced or sliced green onion

1 teaspoon sesame seeds (I left them out since I didn't have any)

- Combine in a bowl and whisk until well blended.


Honey Dill Sauce

3/4 cup mayonnaise

1/4 cup honey

2 tsp dried dill week (dried dill works better than fresh in this recipe)

1/4 tsp lemon juice (optional)

Instructions:

Measure all ingredients into a medium-sized bowl and stir, scraping down sides, until it is an even color.  (The color will have a green tint to it because of the dill)

Serve immediately or, for best results, cover and put into the fridge for 2 hours to allow flavors to meld.  Store covered in the fridge for up to one week.


I'm asking Dan to heat up the sauce for just a little bit before he uses it since it will be coming out of the fridge and it is honey.  I think a small amount of time in the microwave or on the stove would work best so that you can stir up the sauce and the honey would be more fluid(?)  He hasn't tried it yet but I'll let you know how it goes.  

     Another recipe that I tried was Moroccan Couscous (serves 2).  I have to say that I had mixed feelings on this one.  It didn't have any flavor so I ended up adding salsa to it and a little bit more spices.  So if you make this add some spices.  I'm still not sure why it is called Moroccan.  Let me know if you make it.

Moroccan Couscous for 2

1 tbsp chopped onion

1/2 cup water

1/3 cup dry couscous

3/4 teaspoon olive oil


- Add oil to a pan and heat it over medium heat.  When oil is hot, add onion and cook until soft.  Turn off heat.

- Pour water into a saucepan and place the saucepan over high heat.  When it starts boiling, turn off heat.

- Add onion and couscous and stir.  Cover saucepan and let it rest for 5 minutes.

- Take a fork and fluff couscous and serve.

   

     Another recipe that I tried was Meatloaf in a mug - serves 2.


Meatloaf in a Mug - serves 2

4 Tablespoons 1% low fat milk

4 Tablespoons quick cooking oats

1/2 pound lean ground beef - broken up/crumbles

4 teaspoons low sodium ketchup

2 teaspoon onion powder

- grease 2 microwave safe mugs (12 oz each) with some cooking spray

- place:  oats, ketchup, onion powder, and milk in a bowl and mix well.

- add beef and stir until well combined

- divide mixture into mugs

- place in microwave and cook on high for 3 minutes or until the meat is not pink any more.

- cool for a few minutes and serve.

    I used ground turkey which made it a bit "loose" so I added in a bit more oatmeal.  I will make it next time with beef which I think it will work better.

   That's it for now. I hope everybody has a great day.


No comments:

Saturday Musings

 Hello everybody.  I hope your Saturday is going  well.  I have been busy working on various projects and can now show some pictures.  Befor...