Saturday, April 8, 2017

The Start of the International Quilt Show pictures

I decided that I should do multiple postings of the pictures so it wouldn't bog down emails for those who get my updates.  This is the first set of pictures as well as the introduction to my day at the International Quilt Show in Rosemont, IL.

As you know, if you've been paying attention, I drove to my local quilt shop (which is 30 miles away) and got on the bus with my friend Connie to go to the 2017 International Quilt show.  She had gifted me with leggings that matched hers (different color palette)


Yep, that's my big leg in the bright colors and Connie's skinny leg in the muted.  You wouldn't believe how many comments she got on the leggings!  The drive was pretty uneventful and it was fun to go through the show with Connie.  The other thing that made this show a bit different for me was that one of artists in my CyberQuilters Yahoo Group had a quilt in the show.  It was so vibrant and stood out.



It is called Rhythmic by Karen Neary and she is a VERY talented quilter.  She also has a blog so I think you should check it out.  


From the comments that I overheard at the quilt show, others believe the same.  It's always great to recognize names and actually get to see the work of people you have some knowledge about.

Have you ever been to an International Quilt Festival?  The 2017 International Quilt Festival/Chicago (even though it was held in Rosemont) had over 45 classes and lectures and more than 300 booths.  There were nearly 30 special exhibits and even open studios.  Open studios are where you can sit and watch demonstrations for free.  Connie and I sat in on part of the Crochet/Knit part.  They have 2 hour blocks set aside where 4 people take turns talking and demonstrating what they do.  We had some time before we left for the day and sat done during the 2-4 p.m. slot.  

The first time part was Embellish/Paint using Dollar Store Embellishment but we missed that one but we did catch part of Knit/Crochet - Lace Stenciled Note Cards by Suzanne Myers Otto.  It was interesting and I might try it out sometime.  She used spray bottles of water based inks on the cards (made for water based products) and then used various objects to create designs.  We had to leave before the last two demonstrations were presented.  Those demonstrations were Stitch/Sew - Sew Many Feet and Quilt - How to make mini quilts easier.  

Each year there are special exhibits.  Fly me to the Moon was one of the special exhibits this year.  I will finish this post today with some of the pictures from the exhibit.  These were small quilts but totally awesome.  It goes to show that great things don't always have to be large.  

Loved the eagle!

This looked really great in person.



Remember Crafter's - failure is not an option.  It doesn't mean everything we do is super great, I think it means that we should continue to try and don't give up trying.

This was one of my favorites in this exhibition

That's all for today's blog post.  I will show more pictures each day and I hope you will enjoy them.

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to read my blog.


2 comments:

Karen said...

Bonni, I can't thank you enough for taking a picture of my quilt to share with me. I was unable to attend the show, and I appreciate this more than you can imagine. Loved reading your post and seeing some of the other entries as well.
Very grateful. :)

Marsha Clark said...

Wow !
Love the leggings too. :)

Whew! Time for a break!

I have been busy these last few days.  I even got out my sewing machine and did some 9 patch blocks so I could continue on with Fleur.  Do y...