Thursday, March 30, 2023

A Busy Week with a new start

 YAY!  I have another finish to report.  I can't remember when I started it, but I can report it is now finished.  I hand quilted it so that is why you don't any close ups.  LOL. 



Still it is good to have a UFO finish and I can hang it up.  That led me on to another project.  This next one is my Merry Christmas Reindeer runner.  I was debating on whether or not to put a border on but the fabric I liked for the border would make it hard to match up for the binding.


The two fabrics I was look at are shown at the bottom of the above picture.  I decided that I liked the grey feathered fabric better but it would be hard to use it as a border and to figure out what to use for a binding.  So I decided to nix the idea of doing a border and will see if I have enough of the feathered fabric to use for the backing and then wrap it around for the binding.  The green fabric will go back into my stash.  I'll let you know how it all goes.  When I finish this runner it won't be used as a runner.  It's too cute, in my not so humble opinion, to cover it up by using it as a table runner or dresser scarf.  Instead I will probably try to hang it up on the wall so everybody can see it.

So this week I will take on another Rose of Sharon block and start to stitch it.  Also I will start a new table runner.  It is Esther Aliu's Easter Runner.  I'm not sure how old it is but it will be another UFO started.   It has a lot of pinks in it as well as greens.  Here is a hint at some of the colors that I pulled out to narrow down.



The other little project that I will start is my May block for the swap.  I was going to make a flower block since April showers due bring May Flowers.  I looked for a pattern that I wanted to make but before I could decide on the flower I ran across a cute bluebird.  So I pulled out my fabric and think I will make the bluebird.  Here are the blues that  I'm looking at.


This will be a combination block.  Hand applique for the bird and then hand embroidery for the vine with leaves etc.  It was suggested by a good friend to use the light blue (marbled blue on left) for the body.  I don't know who my partner will be yet but at least I know what I want to do.  I like to start out month with knowing what block to make and then take a couple of weeks to finish the block.

What do you think of my plan?  Wish me luck!

Update:  I managed to finish my block for the swap.  Don't know who my partner will be but I love how my bluebird turned out and had to share.  I didn't even wait to press and trim down to the 12 1/2" size that it needs to be.  LOL.  I will do that before mailing it out once I get the name for my partner in the swap.  Ready?  Here it is!


I started writing this post earlier in the week and there have been a few changes.  I haven't started a new Rose of Sharon block yet so that will be pushed off to another week.  The other change I had was the Merry Christmas Runner.  It is still on schedule to be quilted, somehow, but the two fabrics that are pictured with it I couldn't use.  Not enough fabric. So that meant going back to my stash and I came up with this fabric instead.  It is red with gold swirls in it.  


I'm not the happiest with it but it is from my stash and it will go ok.  Perhaps I'm not the happiest because it wasn't my first choice?  We'll see.  The Reindeer, especially Suzie, will keep me in line and convince me it is ok to use.

While I was scrolling through the internet to find some inspiration, I came across this picture.


It was done with 2 1/2 inch squares.  I thought it would be a good stash buster project sometime.  I don't have a pattern for it but I could come close by looking at it and know the squares are 2 1/2".  It is something to think on anyway.  

Everybody have a great week and I'll see you back here next Thursday.  :)  Bye for now!

















2 comments:

Sewgranny said...

Busy lady, I like the red for the reindeer runner. Your bird block is awesome and so is your finished flower hanging! I have a quilt on my frame I've been trying to get quilted for a few days now, life just gets busy and I don't get as much done as I'd like LOL, I know you can relate!

Bonni said...

Thanks. Yes I can relate. LOL.

I keep changing my mind on what to use for the reindeer runner. Something just tells me that the red that I chose, although it was my first choice, isn't what I should use. Sigh. I'll let you know how it all turns out after I make up my mind. That..ummm..could take awhile.

Saturday Musings

 Hello everybody.  I hope your Saturday is going  well.  I have been busy working on various projects and can now show some pictures.  Befor...