Sunday, August 11, 2013

Where to start when you have a lazy weekend

That would be the question.  I wanted to have a lazy weekend but then I have so many projects in my mind, on my shelves, patterns collected, etc. that I feel guilty about being lazy.  Of course lazy also means not wanting to clean.  After not doing much of anything on Friday, I kicked myself in gear and tried to decide what to do.  I found two charm packs that I had for awhile and didn't know what to do so I pulled those out.  I had originally intended to do a child's quilt with the one which had farm animals (and farm scenery) on it but never could figure out what pattern.  I finally decided to do a disappearing 9 patch design.  I've never done one of those before so I had to look it up.  For those of you who haven't made that yet, do a nine patch block and then cut it in the middle so you have four pieces. That's your new blocks to play with.

Here is how it first turned out.


That didn't look like it would be large enough for anything useful so I went to get my second charm pack.  I laid it out along the side to see if it would work ok.


I thought those colors would blend in find so after seeing mom this morning I came back home and sewed up the new blocks, cut them apart and reorganized.  Here was my next layout.


Not bad but when I showed it to Connie (we always send pictures and texts back and forth over the weekend - thank you unlimited texting), she saw that the bottom row had two grey solids (or what looked to be like solids) together at the bottom.  I just switched it out and even though it's a grey next to a grey, they aren't perceived as both being solid.


I think the length is ok on this.  You can see by the yardstick next to it.  I think it's a little narrow.  If I put another row down the length of it, it will measure 36".  That would be better I think.  I have three left over blocks from cutting the 9 patches.  All I need to do is come up with 2 more.  I might try that.  Anybody have any ideas?  Do you think it's wide enough?

It is laid out on my floor while I contemplate what to do with it.  That isn't the only thing that I'm working on this week.  I ran across my blocks that I had done for Wenches Christmas Baltimore blocks.  I never made them into a wall hanging nor did I ever show them completed to mom so I took them with me to see her this morning.  She liked them although I think she is somewhat prejudiced.  Of course she also picked out three and said that they would make a good table runner.  Oh look!  These three would fit my table!  Yes mom.  I can take the hint.  LOL.  These are the three that she wants me to put together for a table runner.





Now I just have to remember not to show her anything else until next year otherwise I'll never get anything else done.    Wow!  I can't believe that I have project ideas already in mind now for her birthday and now Christmas!  Of course they aren't put together yet. That might take me quite awhile (and I'd better not forget where I store these until I do them).

Does this mean I am working backwards?  Now it's time to work on Thanksgiving or Halloween?

We'll see.


No comments:

Saturday Musings

 Hello everybody.  I hope your Saturday is going  well.  I have been busy working on various projects and can now show some pictures.  Befor...