Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving Day 2013

Thanksgiving Day!  A day where one vegges out in front of the computer or television and smells delightful cooking going on in the kitchen.  This year I will be spending it by myself, having told my brother that I will not be going out to his place but thank you for the invite.  I go out there about every other year.  I see Kerm every Sunday for breakfast with mom and he only lives on the other side of town so is near if I need him.

I am thankful for that as well as being thankful for all the inspiration and help my friends give me with quilting.  I don't just mean my quilting friends but all my friends because their opinions are just as precious to me as those who know how to quilt.  I am also thankful for the inspiration my first quilt gives me.


There is so much right and wrong with this quilt that it is my "learning piece".  I am thankful that it is still around for, in case you didn't know the story behind it, was started by my grandmother when she was in her mid 80s.  I inherited the cross stitched centers that she did and I put it together for her daughter - my mother.  I finished it in time to give to mom when she was in her mid 80s.  Mom was involved in the fabric selection and that made it fun to do.  It is all hand stitched.  I didn't have a sewing machine at the time.  After I had finished putting the squares together, it was decided it needd something so the sashings were added.  Yes I said added.  They are appliqued on.  It was hand tied because that is how Grandma always did hers.  It came back to me about 10 years ago so that it wouldn't be stolen since Mom is now in a nursing home.  I am thankful for this quilt since it represents my first quilt, my mistakes and triumph, and best of all...a project that spanned three generations.

What are you thankful for?


No comments:

Saturday Musings

 Hello everybody.  I hope your Saturday is going  well.  I have been busy working on various projects and can now show some pictures.  Befor...