Saturday, July 26, 2014

First patch done

Whew!  This piecing stuff is hard on the nerves!  Of course math was never my strong suit and when you have to divide the blocks into 3 equal parts.  My block didn't divide out evenly (so what else is new) but I got as close as possible.

First here are four of the regular hourglass blocks that I did.  I did it by the Missouri Star Quilt Company method of putting my two 10" block right side together and then sew a 1/4" all the way around it.  Then you cut an X from corner to corner which gives you four half square triangles at one shot.  Then all I had to do was to resew it into the hourglasss block.



The hard part was yet to come.  I had to measure the block and figure out how to divide it into three equal parts.  You cut all all four sides.  This picture shows the green block after I figured it out.  It's not exact since all my rulers didn't have the right markings on them for even division.  




Finally it was time to sew it back together again.  Here is the final version of the block.  NOW I have to work on the rest of them.  Hopefully the notations that I did before will make it easier to do on the next block.




4 comments:

Roma said...

Beautiful work!! I will await the other blocks.

Kat Scribner said...

That is a pretty block, Bonni. The quilt will be gorgeous with those fabrics, so hang in there!

Dottie said...

Really pretty!

Sue Daurio said...

I love it!!