Friday, August 12, 2011

Last Friday Off of work

Today was my last Friday to have off work which means the end of summer for NIU.  Starting Monday we go back to the 8-4:30 M-F.  That is for the normal office.  Since my office is only Lyndon and myself (plus GA and student helper) I usually get to work about a half hour early and stay around a half hour later.    That didn't change when we went to shortened work week.  :)   So I decided to make my day off count.  I woke up late (6:3-0 a.m.) and then turned on classical music to relax with.  I was still laying in bed while listening to it and dozed off for a couple more hours.  After a quick trip to the post office to get mail, I settled down to work on crafting.

After looking at my list of "To Do's" this month I figured I'd better get going.  My doll quilts are semi done but I hadn't done anything for the bucket list yet -- bargello.  I kind of like the look of bargello stuff but it really was off putting to read any instructions.  I finally bit the bullet and decided to give it a try.  Much to my surprise, I didn't have much in my stash that worked well together.  Does this mean I get to go shopping again?  Perhaps but I have to get back on regular paychecks first.

I finally came across five fabric which I liked when laid next to each other.  I also ran across a pattern for a valance that took five fabrics.  I didn't need a valance nor want one but it was a match.  So with tongue between my teeth to keep any bad words in, I sat down and cut the fabric.  Not bad.  Not bad.  I can do this.

THEN I hit the line in the instructions which said to unstitch part of what I had just stitched.  Wait a minute!  I do that often enough without them putting it in the directions!  Ok...Ok.  I'll bite and do it their way.  I did it there way three different times (mistakes).  Sigh.  Finally figured out how to do it but this will not be my favorite piece and I really didn't want to continue.  So I turned it into a mug rug.  I can still see how the bargello pattern would look if I made it longer, etc.  I also put the pattern by the mug rug so that I will know what it is if I want to do it again.  I have to finish stitching the binding on it but am about half way through.  I basted the binding on so I could take the picture.

I think instead of doing another bargello, I'd do a trip around the world or something similar.  After this, I decided to do the block for Rhonda's August 2011 block swap.  On Thursday I met with Connie to go over some of the fabric choices.  I was originally going to do one of the wing blocks but Shelley reminded me (thank you Shelley) that the fabric shouldn't have a big pattern because it will look too choppy.  Back to the drawing board.  I decided not to do a wing block since my stash wasn't conducive to it, and changed my mind to a HST block.  Judy had given me two wing blocks and two HST blocks that she liked so it didn't take me long to figure out which one.  Today I cut out the 2.5" squares and tomorrow I will sew the block together.

Remember those cheap foam boards that I had bought?  I can use one of them to put the 2.5" squares on it to keep them in line until I get to sew them.  Here is a pix of the 2.5" block layout.

The picture didn't turn out as good as I wanted it to but I like the block.  The dark is a dark green with while swirls. Much prettier than the camera on the phone shows.

Back to stitching.  Hopefully by the time I get back to work, I might have finished the doll quilt, the block, the bargello mug rug and get a fair way along on the Quilting in the New Year swap project.  Wish me luck!

No comments: